It's been just over a month since I last posted to this blog. My apologies to all as, is often the case with letters of the past, I've been delayed due to illness. Just a small back surgery that, thanks to modern science, has me back at my desk again, albeit briefly.
So many old family letters are filled with news of births, illness or death. This one contains all three. It was sent from Daniel Draisey, my 2nd great uncle, to my great grandmother, Mary Draisey, aka Polly, his sister. Sadly, Mary passed away a few months after she received it.
March 6th 1933
82 Moston Street
Birches Head, Hanley SOT
My Dear Sister & Family,
Just a line in answer to your kind & ever welcome letter, & we were all pleased to hear that you & all your family were in the best of health, when you wrote to us. As I am pleased to say that I am feeling much better in myself now, but I have felt awful since I buried Sarah. I have missed her so much, it is 12 months now since she died. She died on the 5th of March & I have had it put in the paper & I am sending you a little slip of it. I think it is a beautiful verse. Well my dear Sister I am sorry to say that our Ada has buried Joe, her husband in Feb this year & we have buried Sarah's brother Jack & her sister Lizzie is lying ill & she is just waiting for the Lord to call for her, so I don't know who will be the next, but
we must all be ready when the Lord calls. Well my dear Sister I am going to Rhyl in the morning March 7th for a little holiday, our Jim & Ethel has come over & they want me to go back with them, they say it will do me good, so I wish you could be with us, it would be lovely for all of us. Well my dear Sister, what do you think, our little Alice is going to have a baby & we are all excited about it, you know she is still my little baby, the youngest of my family. Well my dear sister I think I shall have to close now, give our love to all your family, so no more now. With lots of love from your ever loving Brother Daniel Draisey. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
All my children send heaps of love.
People Referenced in this letter:
- Daniel "Dannie" Draisey 1856-1937
- Sarah Kelsall Draisey 1859-1932 - Marriage to Daniel 07 Oct 1877
- Alice Draisey (daughter of Daniel & Sarah) 1903 - married George Gidman 1930. Child John b. 1933 is baby mentioned. Also Alec. b. 1942.
- Ada Draisey (daughter of Daniel & Sarah) 1886 - Joseph "Joe" Davies (Husband married Apr 1905)
- John "Jack" Kelsall (brother of Sarah) 1855-
- Eliza "Lizzie" Kelsall (sister of Sarah) 1861
- Jim & Ethel - James Draisey b. 1890. Married Ethel Platt 1914
Places referenced (more for the must visit list!):
- Rhyl - in Denbighshire North Wales. It does look like a lovely place to visit.
- Hanley, Staffordshire, Stoke on Trent UK
A giant Thank You! to my newly discovered cousin in Australia for helping me figure out a few of these people & dates! She is truly an amazing resource and I am ever so grateful that she found me.
Until next time,
Happy Genealogy Hunting!